Thursday, March 28, 2013

Studio Away From Home



  Welcome to my temporary studio. There is no electricity, no warmth, no running water. But..
It is a studio where I can paint larger format paintings. I brought 3 canvases over from the States, rolled into a plastic tube meant to carry fishing poles onto flights.

  I purchased an easel in Deruta, along with large tubes of oil paint, brushes, palette, etc. to equip my work space here. There is a window for light, and an extra large, warm coat I bought at the farmers market for 3 euro. So I'm happy.





Getting set to work.




  I had a local framer, Fabio, make me some stretcher bars to pin the canvas to. It works, but I plan to tighten things up more when the paintings are back home.

  Below, you can see that I will be working from a smaller painting I've already finished here. It won't be exactly the same, it's just a starting point. I've already finished 15  8x8" oil on panel paintings, which is a good start. Especially considering the weather and light have not been the best this year. Something about a late winter storm throughout Europe...it just won't quit. One has to carry on, regardless. 
  I plan to have 25 completed small paintings, 3 large format paintings and I hope at least 20 small gouaches by the end of our time here. Yes, for me this is a working vacation.
  After all, I am here to be inspired.









  Dim light, but I will take what I can get. It's fun...it's great.
  I'm a lucky painter.




My large warm coat. A third layer of warmth.


  Yes, very old fashioned, it's true. But, it's still a beautiful thing, the artist working in his studio.

  Below, you can see the extendable, black paint "carrier" in the background. Also, you get an idea of the quality of light from the open windows here.


Sorry about the "cliche" beret, but it does keep my head warm!



  Laying in the colors. Everything will change over the next several days. I'm going to have to work hard, covering the whole canvas. 






  At this point, a later stage, the painting will still go through more changes. I may still work on these large paintings back home?










  A very happy Artist, below, continuing to face the challenges of creating a good painting. 
  It ain't easy, folks.



Janelle tells me I'm making quite the fashion statement.



  Below a couple of short videos of this work in progress.  Enjoy.














1 comment:

  1. aww Johnny- your coat is misbuttoned! Artists wear berets because they don't have visors so you can see out to the view. Not a cliche' ! Glad to see you in Italy- how fun!! Jane

    ReplyDelete