Thursday, March 1, 2018

Snow Effect-Umbria 2018




  First full day here, and I couldn't wait to get outside painting these beautiful scenes of this so familiar landscape covered in snow.
  It was quiet, peaceful, and there was no wind, poetic and tranquil.

  





  In my mind I knew there were many paintable scenes on the next ridge over, it's not far from the house and I had to warm up my paintbox after it had sat in the studio here in Umbria for the past 3 months. I needed to get my gear all ready for this next painting season.
  I also needed to learn what I may need for this season, as far as my supplies go.






  For example, I realized I didn't have my turps and medium cups, I don't know what happened to them, so I had to use an empty plastic food tray to hold my turps, which was held down by a rock.
  I also need more paper towels, and my paintbrushes have somewhat dried out and need rehabilitation. So that means planning a trip soon to either a local art supply shop, or maybe a trip to Florence or Rome for more beautiful brushes.

  In the meantime, I paint with what I have.












  I once read a quote from Picasso, that said something to the effect -

"If I only have blue paint, I paint blue pictures".

  I like to think that this is why his Blue Period began?
  I don't know.
  And recently, I watched a video of Wolf Kahn who has developed parkinson's disease, giving him tremors and shaking hands when he paints. But alas, he states it makes him a better painter.
  The point being he now has a more intimate touch in relationship between the canvas and the brush, that allows him to go beyond just painting.









No doubt about it, my toes and fingers were getting numb.
But what happiness. How lucky am I.



My paintbrush ferrule had become detached from the brush handle,
so I had to hold onto the brush and the ferrule while I painted.



  One of the things I've learned through all these many years of painting: 
  Never quit.
  Never give up.
  If your supplies are never perfect, or the weather is never perfect, or the scene is never perfect, or you are getting older, or perhaps ill...
  It's all about facing new challenges, and overcoming limitations. I'm not sure what I mean about going beyond painting, but I think you have to put in your ten thousand hours to understand it.
  Whatever "IT" is, to you.






  Wolf Kahn says that he 'follows the brush'. I endeavor to let the painting paint itself.
  My job is to not be there. If that makes any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment