Sunday, March 11, 2018

Painting Between Rain Showers



  Lost, but not lost, on a deserted gravel road in central Italy on an overcast day.
  

Me, way down the road on the left, painting.




  Janelle and I discovered a new gravel road in an area we know well. It was a nice surprise. I am always searching for new views.
  Janelle will take photos and walks while I paint.






  


  At work on a simple farmhouse scene, just beginning to get started with this square format.



Design, design, design.
Let's see where it leads.







Some decisions have been made, resulting in a harmony of the whole.
A balanced design.






  Taking the show on the road. I found another spot to set up, later the same morning.

Janelle asked me to paint this scene.









  After, I set up a bigger un-stretched canvas.









  This is the first time I have painted on un-stretched canvas, which I will roll up to take back to California and have it stretched. I hope this will be one of many this year.



This size, rolled up, will fit in our suitcase.
I can always ship larger ones.




This painting was painted very quickly,
a little bit like falling. Almost out of control.


  There is a quote I came across in an Italian art magazine, translated to English.
  I don't know who to credit it to:

  "We look within ourselves and wish artists made the strings of our spirituality vibrate. 
  This is not decoration, this is feeling"




Painting peripherally, with feeling.



  Speaking seeing peripherally, with feeling, I am reminded of one of my favorite de Kooning quotes.
  When I am not seeing the world proper, not sure, 'slipping' I think of this quote:

"You know, the real world, this so called world, is just something you put up with like everybody else. I'm in my element when I'm a little bit out of this world: I'm in the real world- I'm on the beam.
Because when I'm falling, I'm doing alright. When I'm slipping, I say, 'Hey, this is interesting.' it's when I'm standing upright that bothers me...As a matter of fact, I'm really slipping most of the time. I'm like a slipping glimpser."


   A slipping glimpser is someone who slides along a beam of light, finds the eternal in the transitory and communicates it to the rest of us. To de Kooning, that is what it means to be an artist.





  






No comments:

Post a Comment