Monday, April 17, 2023

Studio Work Umbria, Spring 2023


Work begins again in my small Italian studio. 
I try to have/get everything I need for this small space. Organization is key.


This painting began last fall, 2022. I wasn't sure about it, so I didn't ship it home with the rest.


It had too much of a melancholic covid energy for me. 


Repainting this in March 2023.





Waiting for inspiration or an idea on this one.



Onto the dot painting...something of joy. 

I did a series of dot paintings during the covid lockdown when we weren't able to travel,
and I just wanted to revisit the theme.



Work in progress.




Detail.












Is it finished? I like it.

 

I wanted to do three vertical abstracts, similar in size. I bought a roll of canvas in Florence earlier in March, along with other studio supplies.

Work begins with laying in color and some mark making.












As usual, I let the painting guide me. The simple idea is to allow the painting to paint itself.
It has taken me many years to understand this idea.






The painting will tell you what it needs. 
And so it goes.






"Spirit Of The Pink Moon"






Below, I'm working on a second large vertical. These are all oil on canvas.




Laying in the darks.








This one has an Italian "landscape" feel to it, for me.
It reflects the region where we live here, spring and fall.


I've titled this one "C'era una volte",
(There was a Time)





It has a nostalgic feeling to me, of this area.
I can feel things changing as time goes by here.
We've been coming to this area now for thirteen years.




A third vertical abstract, perhaps the final. 



A new color palette.



Different stages. 
The light changes so much here






The painting begins to emerge.


The finalization of this painting was a surprise to me.
"La Casa", below..

As I say, the paintings paint themselves, with just a little help from me.




"La Casa"

We will ship the canvases home to be stretched and shown through Westbrook Modern Gallery in Carmel, CA.

I'll keep working in the studio.


No comments:

Post a Comment